Tel: 02392 256 962      Mob: 07774 924 674

Planning Permission | Building Regs | Local Planning Approval

A Guide To Planning Property Changes

This guide offers links and advice for important planning permissions information.

Planning Permissions Local Authority Approval Where To Start?

Building an extension, conservatory or changing the design of a roof by adding skylights requires a careful check of the planning permissions required. A new conservatory may well require planning permission however, as you will find out from the links below, a hand drawn design and description is sometimes all that is required.

The important thing is to obtain honest and affordable advice. The internet is a wealth of information and you can easily be led down false paths.

Start by looking at the UK Government's website at the Planning Portal. In a clear and well presented graphical interface the rules are clearly spelt out and can form an excellent basis for your project.

What Permissions Are Required?

The good thing about the guide is that the graphical interface allows you to choose which area of your property that you want to investigate the rules and how they apply to what you wish to do. The areas fall into the following categories:

  • Roofing including windows (skylights).
  • Exterior Walls.
  • Extensions and additions to the main building of the property.
  • Windows and doors.

How Can I Apply For Planning Permission?

There are two ways to apply for Planning permission. It can be complete in writing and submitted to the appropriate authority or it can also be completed online at Planning Applications. In many cases a hand drawing of the plan is sufficient in cases such as having a conservatory built. Obviously measurements and descriptions are to be accurate but the Planners do not always require an Architect's drawing to give their permission for the build to go ahead. Guidance for all of this is given on the website.

The "Need More Information" area of the Planning Applications is a wealth of information and will clearly lead you through all the development stages.

How Do I Obtain A Plan?

Lastly, where do you get a plan for your new house or extension? The Planning Portal has plenty of advice on this aspect at their "Buy A Plan" page. Their recommended for online companies all offer free registration and search facilities so that you can resource your plan before you buy. Alternatively, find an architect but do take care with who you choose and research the architect you choose carefully. The Architects Registration Board is a good place to start and finding others to recommend one is always a good option as is the professional section of Checkatrade, where feedback is given on registered architects in your area of past work, by their Clients.


Windows and Door Replaced
D A H Windows, Doors & Conservatories

We repair and install UPVC windows, doors and conservatories for the DIY and commercial markets and offer great prices in the Portsmouth, Southampton, Gosport and Fareham areas of Hampshire.
Tel:02392 256 962       Tel:07774 924 674

Areas Covered
Chichester - Fareham - Gosport - Hampshire - Havant
Hayling - Horndean - Petersfield - Portsmouth - Southampton - Sussex - Site Map